Monday, February 13, 2012

Legal Matters

So, even though we're planning our big wedding, I am married already.  Legally.  You see, in order to stay with Beau in foreign countries, I have to be legally hitched to the guy.  I could be here technically just as a tourist in Japan, but I'd have to leave every 90 days.  So with that in mind, Jason and I planned on getting married in the Fond du Lac, Wisconsin courthouse when we made our way back to the States in June 2011.  Yes, this was quick.  We'd only be engaged a few weeks, and had only been together for about eight months!  We had heartache about it, but at the time, J would only be in Misawa for six more months, and then WHO KNOWS where!  I needed the security of marriage so I wouldn't have to live in a different country than him again.  Surprisingly, the process was fairly easy.  The courthouse waived the customary waiting period since we were military, and all we had to do was bring in our birth certificates and 100 bucks the day after we got into town.  The most complicated part was explaining to the clerk that Jason was a Wisconsin resident who resided in Japan, and I was a Nevada resident living in South Korea.    A few days later, we got just a little spruced up to go get (legally) married.  
(all photos personal)





We tried to keep it as low-key as possible...
but his mom still got me flowers and his grandpa
brought a delicious cake!

Is anyone else legally married already?  Why did you decide to make it legal first?

No comments:

Post a Comment