Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cake: Topped


Beau and I had a calm Saturday night that (naturally) involved drinking beers, watching tv, and planning our wedding cake.  We knew we wanted the same lady who made our "practice" wedding cake
Personal Photo
to make our real wedding cake.  So Jason sent an e-mail to his grandpa, and he gave us Susan's e-mail.  Of course, Susan got right back to us and directed us to her website http://www.brookfieldweddingcakes.com/.  While we picked out flavors and designs, Jason noted something about cake toppers on the site, but I'd been checking out toppers on Etsy for months!  I have quite the collection saved to my favorites.  For the longest time, I just KNEW we were going to have kokeshi (or peg doll) toppers, because they're a style borrowed from the Japanese.
the originals...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokeshi
And of course there's a ton of super-kawaii types on Etsy:
Etsy Seller OYAMAart

Etsy Seller knottingwood

Etsy Seller CreativeButterflyXOX
But then I started a new search, because I knew how to bring a little bit of Air Force into our wedding.  Remember when I felt guilty about not letting Beau wear his uniform in our wedding?  I started looking for peg dolls that had uniforms.  I found this one:  

Etsy Seller knottingwood
and thought I might check to see if they could paint a flightsuit on the little man.  But THEN, I found this, and it was too perfect:  

Etsy Seller gingerbabies
It's not the kokeshi style, so much, but this little posed couple is SOOOOOO Beau & me.  We love rock music, we're fun, plus everyone in his flying squadron makes this hand gesture to one another all the time...it's one of their traditions.  The seller can even customize it for us and give the man a flight suit and paler skin.  Jason was floored...he absolutely loved it!  So as soon as I figure out my dress and hair, I'm going to send her a little e-mail and get this made!  

Are you doing a cake topper?  Are you going traditional or new-fangedly?  How did you find it?  




No comments:

Post a Comment